Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day at the Guild

On the 1st of December I had the privilege to be the guest speaker at the NSW Quilters Guild last meeting for the year. A few friends were there for support and to hold up quilts for show-and-tell for me. Thanks guys. Terrible pictures cause the venue is so dark.
I chatted on about my quilting life and showed twenty quilts of different styles from the last 30 or so years.
It was a lovely day spent catching up with other guild members and enjoying the company of like-minded girls.

The Springwood Community Quilt Show committee was the featured group on the day. Here's Suzanne talking about the group and our work in running the show. We were able to borrow a few past raffle quilts to show and the latest one - Homage- was on display as well.
More info about this part of the day is here at the Quilt Show's blog.

In the latest issue of Australian Patchwork and Quilting I have a new project - my Lightning quilt.
It's Vol 22, No 2 available now.

The blocks were made using up a lot of  reproduction blues, browns and pinks plus lots of small print background fabrics. It made quite and dent in the stash. The blocks are pieced then sewn in rows and the rows are then sewn together to give this zig-zag effect. Quite effective I think.


The final border is this lovely repro pink and brown number. Just perfect and sitting on the shelf at the time. If you buy fabric you like when you see it, sometime down the track it will be there waiting to be used. That's my theory anyway!
I'm getting lots of sewing time lately so I'll have heaps to show you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Glad your talk went well. Love that new quilt - very effective and the fabrics are great! Looking forward to seeing your other work too.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have been in the crowd to hear your program to the NSW guild. I'm sure it was well-presented and that everyone enjoyed seeing your beautiful work. What a pretty quilt you've made for the magazine, and for yourself! Love your theory about fabric. Buying what you see and want does make it handy when it's time to make a new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have been wonderful to hear your talk! Love your new quilt! I agree about buying fabric you like when you see it, I use that theory quite a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your lightning quilt. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete