Thursday, November 9, 2017

Houston tour

I had the privilege to lead a tour of 35 quilters to the US, ending up at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. And boy what a trip it was!
On the long haul to get there we spent a while in Denver airport - these signs are on every bathroom.

Then to Missouri where we had two days at Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton. The town is pretty much quilt shops all owned and run by the Doan family. Lots of shopping and mailing home from the girls!


A chance visit to the Pony Express Museum - really interesting place if you're ever in St Joseph.
Chillicothe for murals and antique stores and a quilt shop visit in Cameron. There were lots of those on the tour!

One night in our hotel was a sit-and-sew to complete the project I gave the girls. A nice little thread catcher basket made with pentagons.

Next stop, Chicago. Wow what a city! Freezing cold but that didn't stop us. City tour, Frank Lloyd Wright's house and a visit to the Modern Quilt Studio of Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle. Fantastic display of their quilts and a bit of shopping too! Plus a visit to the 96th floor of the Hancock building.

A definite change in temp when we got to Houston - hot and steamy. We were a 10 minute walk from the Convention centre but these bike things were very popular.

Art around the city

We stayed at the Magnolia Hotel - great place

I had time to do a class with Jane Sassaman. Lots of ideas for future projects.

 With nearly 500 shops there was a lot of variety and some pretty good displays

Two days at the show and we were of to the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange. These  murals are on the side of the building in a lovely garden setting.

Houston is a big city with lots of homeless people around. We were there for the Astros' win of the baseball World Series and the city went crazy for two days. Partying and a big parade that gridlocked the streets for hours.


Farewell dinner then home - here is our tour manager Lyn on the left and Helen from Michelle Marvig's group on the right.
Goodbye Houston and the Magnolia - we had a blast!


6 comments:

  1. It was wonderful, Chris. I had just the best time, thanks to you and Lyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I will get to houstan.....looks like a wonderful tour........

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience, thrilling really travelling with a group of like minded obsessive. Thanks Chris and Lyn for making it such a great experience. So glad I took the plunge L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris what a great opportunity you have had in leading so many like minded quilters visiting American Qiilting Hertitage Museums, site seeing culminating the Quilt Show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog, I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density, which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.
    Or Text me on +1-502-2334-479 for more expliant.

    ReplyDelete