Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mothers Day

Lots happening in different classes at the moment. Ros has started this Pine Burr quilt to try and use up some of the stash. The centre striped fabric is quite striking but not a current one. What a shame.
Judy is on a NYB journey with fantastic results so far. Great use of batiks and hand-dyes. It turns out she's a friend of a friend twice removed. Life's amazing sometimes.

Margaret is one of my older students and has been sewing up a storm. The blocks were made and sewn up in four weeks and they are all 6" blocks. What a woman.

This is part of my new project - or one of them. It all started with the fabric below which is on the border of this version of the good old dresden plate. It includes some foundation piecing in the triangle border and lots of applique. I loved doing this top and am a bit sorry it's finished.
Just need to quilt it now.

On Friday I had the pleasure of being the guest quilter for show and tell at The Cottage Quiltworks in Warriewood. What a lovely shop - beautiful premises and great fabric. If you haven't been there yet put it on the list. Really nice girls and did I tell you their fabric was great! I have been invited to teach at their Quilt Retreat in July - five days of classes with 10 different tutors - and I will start regular classes there on the 2nd Saturday of the month from July onwards. Give them a ring if you're interested in joining me on a Mariners journey.
Had a really nice Mothers Day today - went to Ikea with my daughter and even had meatballs. It was a lovely day and had some retail therapy too. Hope yours was just as good.

6 comments:

  1. Every thing you show on the post today is something that I like. The stripe fabric in the Pine Burr block is indeed striking. Especially with the fabrics chosen for the rest of the block.
    Your Dresden Plate is unusual and I like it very much. I have never seen an Oak Leaf & Reel done that way. Is that an original idea or from a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts get more and more amazing with each post! I love them all!!
    Your dresden plate quilt is so beautiful! The colours fabrics, the dresden patterns and that bird fabric is to die for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris, I am very impressed with Margaret's Foundation piecing. I hope that I will be still stitching up a storm when older. I have an Aunt who at 82 years young next month still makes all her clothes! Amazing ladies! I really like the Dresdan Plate and the fabric for the border is beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the other projects that you have up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore that border print of yours, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, oh, oh... love the Dresden plate quilt... please let me know when it's available, and will you be teaching this one?

    I've emailed you before about the possibility of you teaching a group of friends here in Melbourne, I'm pretty sure I can get a class full if you're teaching that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful work. Thank you for sharing your great quilts and great blog!

    www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete